- Job no: 20289
- Categories: Junior Medical, Fellow
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
The Alfred Department of Intensive Care is a state of the art 45 bed unit that treats approximately 3000 patients per year.
The Alfred ICU provides Victorian state services for heart and lung transplantation (Including paediatric lung transplantation), short- and long-term mechanical cardiac device, extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), burns and hyperbaric medicine. The Alfred is one of two centres providing state services for adult trauma, HIV and bone marrow transplantation (autologous and allogeneic). In addition most other surgical and medical subspecialties are represented in the case-mix in keeping with the quaternary referral centre status of The Alfred Hospital.
The Alfred ICU provides an in house echocardiography service for ICU patients. The echo team performs approximately 900 transthoracic studies and 100 transoesophageal echocardiograms per year. The department also completes a significant number of mechanical device weaning studies. The unit uses dedicated high-end echo machines with 3D and strain capabilities for patient care. A dedicated reporting platform integrates with patient Electronic Medical Record (EMR). The consultant team also provide a structured critical care echocardiography and ultrasonography education for trainees to complete the requirements for Focused Cardiac Ultrasound in Intensive Care (FCU) and Certificate in Clinician Performed Ultrasonography (CCPU). The fellow is expected to participate in service and education delivery in the unit.
Echocardiography fellow essential requirements:
- Completed basic echo qualification (e.g. CCPU, CICM FCU). Equivalent overseas qualifications (eg EDEC, BSE, ASCeXAM) will be considered.
- Must be prepared to complete the Diploma of Diagnostic Ultrasound (ASUM)
- Completed a minimum of 60 reported transthoracic echocardiograms and familiar with performing scans in the ICU population.
- Familiarity with cardiac assist devices (eg VA ECMO, Ventricular Assist Devices, Intra-aortic Balloon Pump)
- Expectation to be involved in critical care echocardiography and ultrasonography education, research or quality assurance activities in the unit.
The position is for 12 month duration and commences in February 2020.
For further information, please contact Dr Li Tan: email@example.com
Applications close 30th June 2019 for Echocardiography fellow position
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
- Published on 07 Jun 2019, 4:26 AM