- Job no: 66931
- Category: Allied Health and Medical Science, Social Work
- Permanent Full-Time Opportunity
- Based at Alfred Hospital
- Great Staff Benefits!
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
- Permanent Ongoing Role
- Full Time at 80 hours per f/n (w/ flexible monthly ADO's)
- Social Worker, Grade 2
- Alfred Hospital Location
- Great Staff Benefits!
The Social Work Department operates in accordance with the philosophy and goals of The Alfred. A focus on quality of life and participation in care is a primary goal of the Department. Social Work aims to identify and address the psychosocial impacts of illness and hospitalisation for patients and their families by providing a range of services which increase quality of life and participation in care. Social Work also assists patients and their families with a smooth transition from hospital to home.
The Social Worker is responsible for the provision of social work services to patients and their families/significant others within the Cancer Service areas, including Haematology, Medical Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT). Flexibility to work within any of the units covered by the Social Work Cancer and Special Medicine Team is also essential, as is regular participation in the Department’s Priority System. The Haematology Oncology Outpatient Clinic (HOC) has been funded for a Social Worker to provide continuous care and support for patients and families whom continue to access their treatment across an outpatient setting. Development and maintenance of community linkages are important in this position. The worker will be required to consult with staff, both Social Workers and those from other disciplines, on issues relevant to patient care and provide advanced case work expertise.
Consultation with Palliative Care Services, Bereavement Counsellor and advanced care planning will also form a key component of this role.
Flexibility to work within any of the Departments Service areas is also essential whether that be specified units on either a permanent or temporary basis. He/she will also be expected to be an active contributor to team and departmental activities, such as quality improvement programs and development of service initiatives within the specialty area, and priority allocation. Supervision of junior staff and students will also be expected, when appropriate. Development and maintenance of community services and supports are also important in this position.
Skills and Qualifications Required
- Eligibility for membership of Australian Association of Social Workers.
- Bachelor of Social Work, or recognised equivalent
- Sound counselling skills with an understanding of adjustment to illness and hospitalisation/ grief and loss and bereavement support
- Advanced social work skills and experience as evidenced by (preferably) 4 or more years post qualifying experience (minimum of 3) and a demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
- A strong knowledge of cancer and the psychosocial impact that this area, and diagnosis, has on this patient population and individual coping.
- Demonstrated experience in the area of acute health and an understanding of this diverse patient population.
- Ability to develop and foster collaborative working arrangements and strategic alliances with relevant key stakeholders and organisations.
- Demonstrated experience in social work student supervision and an interest and commitment in the professional supervision of staff.
- Generous salary packaging and novated leasing are available through Maxxia
- Onsite child care services, payroll deductible expense
- Onsite staff gym, a payroll deductible expense
- Modern onsite library faculties, exclusive to Alfred Health staff
- Access to health and wellbeing incentives
- Discounted health insurance
For enquiries regarding this role, please contact Carly Maxwell on 9076 3026
Applications close at 11pm on Friday the 24th of November, 2023
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.