- Classification: Grade 3 Hospital Pharmacist SX6 - SX81
- Part-Time, Fixed-Term positions available until July 2025
- Full Time: 80 hours + ADO
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory to inpatient and home and community-based services.
- Senior Pharmacist – Voluntary Assisted Dying Statewide Service
- Classification: Grade 3 Hospital Pharmacist SX6 - SX81
- Award: Victorian Public Sector (Medical Scientists, Pharmacists and Psychologists) Enterprise Agreement 2021-2025
- Part-Time, Fixed-Term positions available until July 2025 with possibility of extension
- Opportunity to link appointment with other roles in the department to achieve Full Time hours: 80 hours per fortnight plus ADO
- Based at The Caulfield campus
The Pharmacy services operate across all Alfred Health sites and are well recognised nationally and internationally for high quality, innovative, patient-focused services, education and training programmes as well as significant research output. The service has 3 key priorities in medication Safety, effective use of medicines and delivery of specialist pharmacy expertise at critical points in the patient care pathway.
Clinical pharmacy services are aligned with the Alfred Health clinical program structure. Clinical pharmacists are attached to medical units and work alongside medical, nursing and allied health teams to achieve the best medication outcomes for patients. Each team of clinical pharmacists is supported by a Senior Clinical Pharmacist with specialist expertise. This unit and team-based structure underpins the excellence in patient care of our clinical pharmacy services.
Further information is available at www.alfredpharmacy.org.au
The Voluntary Assisted Dying Act commenced on the 19th June 2019. To ensure voluntary assisted dying is provided in a safe and compassionate manner the Government established a Statewide Pharmacy Service.
The Voluntary Assisted Dying Statewide Pharmacy Service is based within the Alfred Health Pharmacy Department. As part of the service, pharmacists within the team will visit patients and doctors anywhere across Victoria. The team regularly provides comprehensive personalised face-to-face information and education to patients, families, carers, and medical staff. The service is currently funded until July 2025 and is expected to continue into the long term.
The role is primarily focused on visiting patients across Victoria who have been prescribed voluntary assisted dying medication and providing them and their carers with information regarding the medication, and also providing the medication if requested and appropriate. Patient visits are conducted wherever the patient is and most commonly in the home, but can also be in hospitals and aged care facilities. These visits are completed with two pharmacists to ensure quality and safety. Pharmacists in the team are expected to regularly communicate and liaise with medical practitioners regarding prescribing of medications and medication protocols. This includes conducting thorough reviews on prescribed medications, dispense voluntary assisted dying medications, and supportive medications.
We are looking to welcome suitable pharmacists to our team and this appointment is for up to a 0.6EFT – 3 days a week commitment. Consideration will be given to linking this appointment to other services the Alfred Health pharmacy provides including both clinical and operational roles to achieve a Full-Time position.
More information about Voluntary Assisted Dying is available on the DHHS website: https://www.health.vic.gov.au/patient-care/voluntary-assisted-dying
Skills and Experiences
- Experience in the provision of clinical pharmacy services to individual patients
- Experience in providing cognitive services to patients as they approach the end of life highly desirable
- Experience in working in team setting with health professional
- Registered pharmacist with AHPRA Pharmacy Board of Australia
- Relevant clinical post-graduate qualification such as Masters in Clinical Pharmacy Practice or equivalent highly desirable
- A portfolio that demonstrates progression towards or recognition as an ANZCAP registrar or consultant, or equivalent, in the specialty of Voluntary Assisted Dying, Palliative Care or Leadership and Management highly desirable
- Salary Packaging
- Discount health insurance
- Child Care
- Onsite gym
For further information or a confidential discussion, please contact Professor Michael Dooley (Director of Pharmacy) by email on [email protected] or via phone (03) 03 9076 2408; or Phuc Phan (Lead Pharmacist – VAD Statewide Services) by email on [email protected] or via phone (03) 9076 5270.
Applications must be submitted electronically via the Alfred Health website - applications forwarded to the contact email address will not be considered.
Applications close at the end of Sunday 18th February 2023.
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
In accordance with the Health Minister's Covid-19 Mandatory Vaccination Order, all Alfred Health employees are required to be fully vaccinated (3 doses) for COVID-19 or hold an acceptable medical exemption. Furthermore, in accordance with the Health Services Amendment (Mandatory Vaccination of Healthcare Workers) Act 2020, health care workers in Category A or B roles (as determined by the department’s risk ratings) are required to be vaccinated against influenza or hold an acceptable medical exemption.