- Job no: 62800
- Category: Allied Health and Medical Science, Other Allied Health / Medical Science
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
- Medical Laboratory Scientists, Grade 1/ 2
- Permanent ongoing position
- Excellent professional development opportunities
- Amazing benefits
Alfred Pathology Service (APS) provides a comprehensive range of pathology testing, consultation services and collection services to clinicians and patients of Alfred Health. The Service has 5 units (Anatomical Pathology, Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology, Microbiology and Human Molecular), each headed by a Unit Head. APS also has a small local laboratory at Sandringham hospital. APS has several collection centres and is responsible for specimen collection of about 50% of its samples. A dedicated computing group supports the computing needs of APS. The services of APS include routine and esoteric laboratory testing with complete specialist support for test interpretation. Due to the nature of the associated hospitals’ activities, there is emphasis on the support of trauma and emergency services, the support of organ transplantation - especially heart and lung, the support of HIV and AIDS related diagnostic services and support of bone marrow transplantation services. The various APS units are affiliated with Monash University and most Consultants hold honorary or substantial teaching appointments. APS is actively involved in educational and professional development training programs for under-graduate and post-graduate students, medical students and registrars. Units are also involved in and support a wide range of research activity in association with hospital clinical units, Baker IDI, Burnet Institute, Monash University and other groups. APS actively supports ongoing professional development and research within areas of diagnostic interest.
- Bachelor of Science (or equivalent)
- Experience in Biochemistry
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be able to perform all pathology tests provided by the Unit without supervision (following a suitable period of training).
- This includes relevant use of telephone, laboratory quality control and computing procedures and acknowledgment of patient care and confidentiality responsibilities. Participate in overall Alfred Pathology Service multi-skilling activities and in staff rotations, on-call, overtime work and out-of-hours rosters as directed.
- Participate in self-education activities, internal and external training courses, and in clinical and scientific meetings (including speaking) as directed.
- Perform other duties as directed
- Access to Salary Packaging and Novated Leasing
- Health and Wellbeing initiatives in addition to discounted health insurance
For more detail on the role, please download the relevant position description. For further queries please contact Marion Black on 9076 3080
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
- Closed 12 days ago - 28 Jan 2023