- Job no: 62005
- Category: Allied Health and Medical Science, Other Allied Health / Medical Science
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory to inpatient and home and community-based services.
- Fixed Term position for 6 months with a view to ongoing role
- Part time, 20 hours per fortnight
- Located at Sandringham Hospital
The Spiritual Care Department is part of the multi-disciplinary team of the hospital and provides religious, spiritual and emotional support, listening, companionship, prayer and sacramental ministry to patients, relatives and staff, regardless of religious affiliation. It provides a worship and prayer space for people of all faiths and beliefs, offering and sometimes facilitating appropriate religious services and ritual. The Spiritual Care Department is also an ASPEA affiliated CPE centre providing Clinical Pastoral Education and supervision for student spiritual carers and chaplains.
An exciting opportunity to be an integral part of Alfred Health’s Spiritual Care team, contributing to the high quality of Spiritual Care provision for patients, families and staff. We are seeking a Spiritual Care practitioner with a passion for empathetic patient centred care, exemplary communication, and interpersonal skills, and an open, inclusive, non-denominational philosophy. The successful candidate will work with the existing Spiritual care team to continue the Spiritual Care Service at Sandringham Hospital and provide high quality care to patients, families, and staff of Alfred Health at Sandringham Hospital as per the responsibilities listed in the position description.
The Spiritual Care practitioner seeks to identify the spiritual dimensions which engage the patient in their capacity for healing, guidance, reconciliation, strength and hope. Through spiritual conversation and in conjunction with the holistic assessment made by the unit team the Spiritual Care practitioner will conduct a Spiritual Assessment and plan intervention.
Skills & Experience
- 2 Units of Clinical Pastoral Education or demonstrated equivalent
- Tertiary level qualification in theology, ministry or religious studies, OR a degree in another discipline and Graduate Diploma in theological/religious/pastoral or human care studies
- Previous experience in Healthcare Pastoral/Spiritual Care
- Experience in providing Pastoral/Spiritual care in a clinical setting or similar experience
- Eligible for certified membership of Spiritual Care Australia
- Be in good standing within own faith tradition
- Be prepared to undertake ongoing in-service education
- Be prepared to undertake regular professional supervision of their pastoral practice
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- An open, inclusive, non-denominational philosophy
- Competence in the handling of confidential material and document
- Attention to detail to ensure quality documentation
- Commitment to patient centred care
- Strong work ethic and great initiative
- Sound self-management skills appropriate to level of responsibility/experience (ie, organisation, planning, time management and priority setting)
- Demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning
- Demonstrated understanding of continuous quality improvement principles
- Sound understanding of professional codes of conduct and ethical practice
- Customer focused
- Motivated and Enthusiastic
- Flexible and adaptive to demands of working environment
- Respectful to others, open, honest and has high integrity
- Consistently exceeds base performance requirements for the job and uses initiative
- Will contribute beyond own tasks to achieve team goals
- Salary Packaging
- Discount Health Insurance
- Car Parking (subject to availability)
Enquiries to Craig Exon, Spiritual Care Manager on 0427 501 779.
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
All Alfred Health employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This is in accordance with the Vaccination of Health Care Workers (COVID-19) Directions - Health Services. All Alfred Health employees are required to be vaccinated against influenza. This is in accordance with the Mandatory Vaccination of Health Care Workers (Influenza Vaccine) Directions - Health Services Establishments for influenza.
- Closed 4 days ago - 05 Dec 2022