- Job no: 33047
- Categories: Junior Medical, Fellow
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
Our Trauma Fellowship offers experience in most subspecialties of anaesthesia with a strong emphasis on Trauma Anaesthesia.
The Trauma Fellow will develop advanced skills relevant to the care of the trauma patient, particularly trauma resuscitation and anaesthesia.
The Trauma Fellow is expected to gain skills in the following:
- Evaluation of the undifferentiated trauma patient as part of a multidisciplinary team. Formal Trauma Team training provided early in the year.
- Airway management skills
- Resuscitation skills
- Interpretation of diagnostic imaging (including FAST, Echocardiography, CXR, cervical spine X-rays and CT scans),
- Provision of general and regional anaesthesia for a range of elective and emergency trauma cases, including neurotrauma, thoracic trauma, abdominal trauma, orthopedic trauma, facial trauma and burns.
- Provision of appropriate post-trauma and postoperative analgesia, in conjunction with the pain service
- Haemodynamic and respiratory monitoring
- Simple surgical procedures relevant to trauma (e.g. cricothyroidotomy, intercostal tube thoracostomy),
- Management of massive transfusions, and knowledge of transfusion medicine.
- Basic research skills.
The program is a 12 month appointment and would involve exposure to:
- Trauma Anaesthesia – for both in hours and out of hours. When possible, the Trauma Fellow will attend major traumas in ED and continue caring for that patient should they need surgical intervention in theatre
- Trauma unit ward rounds, participation in Trauma MDT meetings and attachments to the receiving Trauma Unit
- Training in procedures such as FAST, cricothyroidotomy, TTE and radiology interpretation.
- Metropolitan Ambulance Service and other external emergency services to gain exposure to the pre-hospital environment and to aeromedical retrieval (both primary and secondary). A relationship with the Department of Human Services will facilitate training in relation to Mass Casualty Trauma Care.
Research and Audit
The Trauma Fellow is expected to participate in a research, audit or educational project related to trauma anaesthesia or trauma patient care. This topic would be negotiable depending on the Fellow’s interest and the research/audit priorities of the Department. The topic will be decided upon in conjunction with the Trauma Fellowship supervisor.
Enquiries should be directed to Dr Alan Kakos, Dr Matt Richardson & Dr Sarah Palermo, Supervisors of Training, at SOT.firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 23 May 2021
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
- Closes in 8 days - 23 May 2021
- Published on 25 Apr 2021, 10:30 PM