Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
- Nurse Manager Intensive Care unit & Hyperbaric
- Permanent Ongoing
- Full—time, 80 hours per fortnight including an Ado
- Classification – NM12+
- Alfred location
- Staff Benefits
Alfred Health is the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne and is a major provider of specialist services to people across Victoria. The health service operates three outstanding facilities, The Alfred, Caulfield, and Sandringham.
Our beliefs provide the platform for the way we work and the decisions we make.
- Patients are the reason we are here – they are the focus of what we do
- How we do things is as important as what we do
- Respect, support and compassion go hand in hand with knowledge skills and wisdom. Safety and care of patients and staff are fundamental
- Excellence is the measure we work to every day. Through research and education, we set new standards for tomorrow
- We work together. We all play vital roles in a team that achieves extraordinary results
- We share ideas and demonstrate behaviours that inspire others to follow
The Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the Alfred is a highly specialised unit that provides care for patients with life threatening conditions. It is one of Australia’s leading Intensive Care Units, admitting more than 3000 patients a year. The ICU provides a number of Victorian state-wide and National services including:
- Trauma (adult)
- Hyperbaric Medicine
- Burns (adult)
- Haemophilia (adult)
- Heart & Lung Transplant
- Advanced Cardiac Heart Failure – Ventricular assist Device Implantation
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) Coordination
- National Paediatric Lung Transplant
Our current service is provided across four separate Pods – General, Cardiac, Surgical and Trauma, totalling 56 physical cubicle spaces.
The Nursing workforce is comprised of 326 EFT, totalling almost 500 staff. The model of care is a ’team of teams’ approach. The clinical support is mirrored in each Pod and consistent across 24 hours, 7 days per week. A Clinical Nurse Manager, reporting through a tiered senior nursing structure, manages each Pod. Additional clinical support for specialist services, such as ECMO, Burns and Trauma have increased over the past 2 years.
The Alfred Hyperbaric service provides Victoria’s state service in hyperbaric medicine. The unit has a strong research component, focused on developing a national registry for hyperbaric therapy. With onsite biomedical support, the unit has a strong innovation and technology focus, being the first internationally to treat a patient with a Ventricular Assist Device (Heartmate III) and is the first unit nationally to introduce and in chamber EMR.
The Nurse Manager of the Intensive Care unit & Hyperbaric is a key leadership position within Alfred Health. The role is pivotal in leading the strategic service development for ICU & Hyperbaric, ensuring achievement of its clinical, operational and education, training, research, and academic objectives. This role is responsible for the development and implementation of programs to innovate, enhance care delivery systems and processes, and deliver improved patient outcomes.
They will operationalise Alfred Health’s purpose, beliefs, and the core values of Alfred Nursing. The position holds responsibility for nursing and clerical workforce, financial performance, day-to-day operations and training & education.
SPAN OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The role of the The Nurse Manager of the Intensive Care unit & Hyperbaric is to work in partnership with the Medical Director ICU & Hyperbaric and the Program Director of Operations (Alfred Emergency and Intensive Care services) to provide leadership and direction in four key areas:
- Ensuring the delivery of safe patient care and improving patient experience and outcomes
- Financial control and delivery of performance and quality targets for directly managed services
- Management and maintenance of systems and processes to ensure that staff are appropriately supported to deliver on local objectives
- Delivery and evaluation of high quality nursing practice effectively integrated with medical, allied health and pharmacy services
The successful applicant will have a Nursing background and can demonstrate a proven record of accomplishment in leading and managing a large tertiary critical care service. Alfred Health is looking for a transformational leader, who has demonstrated service and system level improvement. The ability to manage a large nursing workforce, coordinate a multi-disciplinary team, and create a positive workplace culture are essential
The successful applicant will have highly developed communication and inter-personal skills and a proven record of accomplishment of engagement and inclusion of external stakeholder groups. Fostering a workplace that collaborates and cooperates to achieve shared goals is essential.
The successful applicant must demonstrate a record of continuous learning and experience and will hold a Masters in Nursing and or Business/Management (or equivalent).
Additional information is available on request. Pre-meeting and facilities tours are available to candidates that meet the minimal criteria to progress to interview.
- Salary packaging
- Novated leasing
- Onsite gym
- Easy public transport access
Enquiries: Josh Stuart, Director of Operations, Emergency & Acute Medicine, Operations Executive on 03) 9076 2478
To apply: Please click on the APPLY FOR THIS JOB button
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.