Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
Alfred Psychiatry is seeking applications from motivated psychiatry registrars who share The Alfred’s values and wish to participate in the Psychiatry Registrar Training Program, starting February 2021.
Psychiatry Registrar (Stage 2) - Second year
Second year trainees will enjoy a focus on Child and Youth Mental health with six month rotations to both the Alfred Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CYMHS) (a mandatory rotation) and the headspace Youth Mental Health Service. These placements afford a myriad of opportunities to work with children, young people and their families in a co-designed program that includes reflective family therapy and a Discovery College which provides co-produced and co-delivered activities.
Child and Adolescent teaching occurs one morning each week throughout the year for the second year trainees.
Psychiatry Registrar (Stage 2) - Third year
Third year trainees complete a mandatory six months in Liaison & Emergency (C-L) psychiatry at The Alfred, working in one of Victoria’s largest C-L services with liaison attachments to HIV-psychiatry, epilepsy, trauma, burns, cystic fibrosis, renal, neurology, oncology, acquired brain injury and addictions units with further liaison attachments to several state-wide subspecialties.
An exam tutorial programme runs twice-yearly to prepare for the written examination and the OSCE exam.
All trainees have an individual psychotherapy psychiatrist supervisor to support them in completing the 40-session Psychotherapy Written Case.
Psychiatry Registrar (stage 3)
Advanced Training Certification can be commenced once a registrar enters Stage 3 of training.
Advanced Certificates on offer at The Alfred include:
- Generalist Training (automatic enrolment)
- Child and Adolescent
- Consultation- Liaison Psychiatry
- Adult Psychiatry
- Psychiatry of Old Age
- Addiction Psychiatry
Adult/Generalist training boasts a large array of opportunities including:
- Private Practice Settings (e.g. Victoria Clinic, Albert Road Clinic, Epworth)
- Specialist Community Clinic placements (e.g. Homeless Team, Mobile Support Team, Navigations Team)
- Neuropsychiatry Rotations (e.g. Acquired Brain Injury Unit, Neuro-stimulation through Epworth, Victoria Clinic)
- Other opportunities (e.g. Crisis Assessment and Treatment, Alfred Psychiatry Intensive Care State-wide Service (APICSS))
Other educational opportunities include:
- an annual CBT seminar programme
- Reading Group (seminal psychotherapeutic articles)
- weekly Professorial Grand Round (a wide range of internal and external speakers)
- fortnightly Journal Club.
For further enquires please contact Dr Tania Stavovy (Director Psychiatry Registrar Training and Workforce) at email@example.com or Johanna Nicol at J.Nicol@alfred.org.au
Applications close 10 July 2020
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.