- Job no: 27362
- Categories: Junior Medical, Fellow
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
Our trauma fellowships offer experience in most fields of anaesthesia with a strong emphasis on trauma.
The Trauma Fellow will develop advanced skills relevant to the care of the trauma patient, particularly trauma resucitation and anaesthesia.
Skills will include:
- Trauma patient evaluation,
- Airway management skills
- Resuscitation skills
- Interpretation of diagnostic imaging (including FAST, Echocardiography, CXR, cervical spine X-rays and CT scans),
- Provision of general and regional anaesthesia for a range of elective and emergency trauma cases, including neurotrauma, thoracic trauma, abdominal trauma, orthopedic trauma, facial trauma and burns.
- Provision of post-operative analgesia.
- Haemodynamic and respiratory monitoring,
- Simple surgical procedures (e.g. cricothyroidotomy, intercostal tube thoracostomy),
- Management of massive transfusions, and knowledge of transfusion medicine.
- Basic research skills.
The program is a 12 month appointment and would involve exposure to:
- Trauma Anaesthesia – for both in and out of hours, elective and emergency cases
- Facio-maxillary, Burns and Cardiothoracic lists as well as general anaesthesia duties
- Trauma unit ward rounds, participation in Trauma MDT meetings and attachments to the receiving Trauma Unit.
- Arrangements will be sought with other units to facilitate training in procedures such as FAST, cricothyroidotomy, TTE/TOE and radiology interpretation.
- Arrangements will be sought with the Metropolitan Ambulance Service and other external services to gain exposure to the pre-hospital environment and to aeromedical retrieval (both primary and secondary). A relationship with the Department of Human Services will facilitate training in relation to Mass Casualty Trauma Care.
Research and Audit
The Trauma fellow would be expected to participate in a research, audit or educational project related to trauma anaesthesia or trauma patient care. This topic would be flexible depending on the Fellow’s interest and the research/audit priorities of the department. The topic will be decided upon in conjunction with the Trauma fellowship supervisor.
Enquires can be directed to Dr Alan Kakos, Dr Matt Richardson & Dr Annabel Orr, Supervisors of Training at email@example.com
Applications close 30 May 2020
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
- Published on 14 May 2020, 7:27 AM