Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory to inpatient and home and community-based services.
- 12 month fixed term position
- 5 positions available
- A mix of full time and part-time roles
- Grade 2 and or Grade 3 Allied Health Assistant
- opportunity to work across 7 days
- Based at the Alfred – Ward 5 West Trauma and Orthopaedics
The new purpose-built Trauma and Orthopaedics ward, 5 West, is a 40-bed ward with a dedicated surgical procedure zone, active therapy zones and spaces for families and carers.
The redeveloped ward provides an opportunity to create a contemporary Allied Health workforce model and the Alfred has partnered with the TAC to achieve this. The new Allied Health workforce for 5 West will enable early, intensive intervention across physical, functional and cognitive domains with attention on achievement of patient-directed goals. The expanded multidisciplinary model will be delivered 7 days a week and is aimed at supporting improved recovery outcomes for Trauma and Orthopaedic patients.
The Ward 5 West Allied Health team includes clinicians from Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Orthotics and Prosthetics, Speech Pathology, Social Work, Nutrition and Psychology (including Neuropsychology) and will be supported by Allied Health Assistants. The Allied Health team works closely with the Nursing and Medical teams to provide a comprehensive and timely service to patients on Ward 5 West.
We are looking for highly motivated Allied Health Assistants to provide a flexible and responsive service that works to meet each patient’s identified therapeutic and discharge goals. The successful applicant(s) will responsible for the implementation of individual and group interventions and/or therapy programs, as delegated by the treating therapists. The AHA will work as part of the multidisciplinary team to provide services that may include sourcing practical advice and providing support to patients and families to complete applications for services and benefits. The AHA will also be responsible for administrative and clinical support functions, which assist with patient management and contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the ward.
- Completion of Certificate IV (Allied Health Assistance) from a registered training organisation, OR
- Recognised equivalent qualification (as determined by the line manager):
- Higher qualification in a relevant health science discipline at Diploma or Associate Diploma level
- Certificate level qualification in a relevant health-related field
- Eligibility for registration as a Registered Nurse - Division 2
- Overseas-trained Allied Health practitioner with a qualification at Diploma level or higher
- Allied Health undergraduate student (in a relevant health science discipline) having successfully completed one year of study at minimum
- Current Victorian Driver’s License (unrestricted)
Key Selection Criteria
- Previous experience working within a health-related field and/or acute, physical/rehabilitation or aged care facility
- Previous employment in an AHA role (3-5 years’ clinical experience)
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously (within scope of practice)
- Sound interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to work well within a team environment and relate to medical, nursing and allied health staff, patients and families
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Sound self-management skills appropriate to level of responsibility/experience (ie, organisation, planning, time management and priority setting)
- Demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning
- Demonstrated understanding of continuous quality improvement principles
- Sound understanding of professional codes of conduct and ethical practice
- Advanced computer skills
- Ability to supervise/mentor AHA Grade 2 staff, AHA students and/or work experience students
- Working with Children's Check - Victoria
- Salary Packaging
- Discount Health Insurance
- Car Parking (subject to availability)
- Onsite Gym
- Child care services
For further queries please contact Joanne Cairney on 03) 9076 5749 Applications close on 13 December 2019 at 11pm.
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.