Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
Senior Full Stack Python Developer - Monash FODMAP Team
- Fixed Term 12 month contract
- Full Time [76 hours per fortnight]
- The Alfred Centre
- Staff benefits
We are seeking an experienced Full Stack Python Developer to work with the Monash University FODMAP team in the Department of Gastroenerology, Monash University (The Alfred Hospital Campus). This teamdeveloped a new therapeutic diet for treating a common gastrointestinal disorder – irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The diet is called the Monash University Low FODMAP Diet.
FODMAPs or fermentable oligo, di-, monosaccharides and polyols which are found in many foods, are poorly absorbed by the small intestine and appear to be largely responsible for the discomfort experienced by people suffering from IBS. There is now good clinical evidence (both national and international) for the use of the Low FODMAP diet as first line management therapy for IBS. The Monash team developed a smartphone App - The Monash University Low FODMAP Diet App- to help ‘translate’ this new diet therapy for both health professionals working in this area and patients. In addition to the App the Monash FODMAP team (see https://www.monashfodmap.com/) have a number of activities around the dissemination of the Monash University Low FODMAP Diet - including a low FODMAP food certification program and online education courses.
Central Clinical School encompasses the Departments of Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, Clinical Haematology, Immunology and Pathology, Diabetes, Infectious Diseases, Diabetes, Gastroenterology, Allergy and Respiratory Medicine, Medicine and Surgery. CCS also includes the Australian Centre for Blood Diseases, Melbourne Sexual Health Centre, Monash Alfred Psychiatry research centre and the National Trauma Research Institute. It is located at the Alfred Hospital precinct in Melbourne, known as AMREP (Alfred Medical Research and Education Precinct). The school is involved in teaching students from both the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences and the Faculty of Science and its teaching and research is conducted at Alfred Health, Cabrini, Epworth Richmond, and Peninsula Health and at Clayton.
We are looking for a highly skilled computer programmer with experience who is comfortable with both front and back end programming. This individual will be responsible for developing and designing front end web architecture, ensuring the responsiveness of applications. This individual will work under the supervision of another senior Software Engineer.
- This role involves working along side the Monash FODMAP team to understand the requirements, build, test and roll out new products (eg. related to the Monash FODMAP apps and websitehttps://www.monashfodmap.com/).
- This individual will also be required to ensure smooth operation of the different tech stacks that are crucial to daily activities of the Monash FODMAP business.
- Working with the Monash FODMAP team with project planning from conception to final product.
- An excellent understanding of development methodologies
- Strong analytical, problem solving and synthesizing skills (to be able to trouble-shoot problems)
- Experience with code reviews, writing tech specs, and collaborating closely with other people (not a solo hacker)
- At least 2 years’ experience as a software engineer
As a Back-end developer:
- Extensive experience programming in Python 3
- Proficiency in Python/Django web development
- Experience in designing and implementing REST APIs
- Experience with Git
- Experience with MySQL database
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
As a front-end developer:
- Extensive experience in HTML5, CSS3, SASS, TypeScript and related technologies
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UX designs and comfortable converting UX into UI
- Curious and collaborative, comfortable working independently, as well as in a team
- Comfortable to be the ‘go-to person’ for the latest developments in IT innovation
- Creative with emerging technologies
- A good communicator with ‘non-technical’ members of staff
Potential candidates will be required to undertake a technical interview.
This will demonstrate their ability to plan, design and implement (DJANGO) as per position requirements as well as implement sound SDLC and programming (Python) fundamentals.
- Salary Packaging
- Discount Health Insurance
- Onsite Gym
- Child care services
Applications close (11pm, 12th June 2020)
Please include a cover letter and CV in your application
Applicants MUST have Australian Working Rights.
All enquiries to Balaji Natarajan on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.