Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
Opportunity to join the Counselling Team at Melbourne Sexual Health Centre.
- Ongoing - The position is ongoing subject to a six month probationary period.
- Part Time - three eight hour days per week including one evening.
- Wednesday and Friday 830 to 515pm. Thursdays 1045 to 730pm
Melbourne Sexual Health Centre
Operating from MSHC at 580 Swanston Street Carlton, we are looking for a counsellor to join a team of two other part time counsellors, with clients often presenting in need of crisis management.
The successful candidate may possess a qualification from any of the classifications listed in the Position Description, but will be employed as Counsellor and provide counselling services in accordance with the position description. They will join a team of two experienced counsellors who will work closely to support and mentor the successful applicant.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of two years post graduate experience as a Counsellor/therapist and be registered with your professional association. Clinical Supervision for this role will be provided on a monthly basis by an experienced clinical supervisor.
Experience of working in sexual health field is highly desirable
Clients attending MSHC come from a diverse background, and include those experiencing new HIV and STI diagnoses, working in the sex industry, gender diversity and identity, anxiety, alcohol and other drug issues, lack of social connection, and family violence amongst other issues. Most clients are referred through our walk in and wait service and many are seen on the day they present for sexual health issues. A range of presenting issues will be encountered – Anxiety and Depression / Substance abuse including ‘Chemsex’ / Relationship and Partner Violence / Sexuality and ‘Coming Out’ / Adjustment to Diagnosis/commencement and adherence to lifelong medication regimens – to mention some important themes. Counsellors at MSHC also deliver short express testing consultations with low-risk clients in times of low counselling demand.
There are two other part-time counsellors, and all three will work together to provide the counselling service needs
- A commitment to working in a client centred environment with their family and friends
- Proven time management, organisation and reporting skills
- Experience and understanding of concerns related to health anxiety, chronic disease and other matters related to sexual health
- Sound understanding on Cognitive Behavioural Therapies (CBT) and motivational enhancement therapies
- Highly developed written and oral communication
- Salary Packaging
- Discount Health Insurance
All enquires to Ria Fortune Nursing (Services Manager MSHC) on Phone 9341 6237
Application close Sunday, 17th February 2019 at 11pm
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.