Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
- Medical Scientist - Grade 2 (Molecular-NGS)
- Full time – 80 hours per fortnight, including an ADO
- Fixed term - 2 years
- Position Classification Code RY4-RY7
- Excellent professional development opportunities
- Amazing benefits
Alfred Pathology Service (APS) provides a comprehensive range of pathology testing, consultation services and collection services to clinicians and patients of AlfredHealth. The Service has 5 units (Anatomical Pathology, Biochemistry, Haematology, Microbiology and Human Molecular Pathology), each headed by a Unit Head. APS has the core laboratory at The Alfred as well as a small local laboratory at Sandringham hospital. APS has several collection centres and is responsible for specimen collection of about 50% of its samples. A small computing group supports the computing needs of APS. The services of APS include routine and esoteric laboratory testing with complete specialist support for test interpretation. Due to the nature of the associated hospitals’ activities, there is emphasis on the support of trauma and emergency services, the support of organ transplantation - especially heart and lung, the support of HIV and AIDS related diagnostic services and support of bone marrow transplantation services.
The various APS units are affiliated with Monash University and most Consultants hold honorary or substantial teaching appointments. APS is actively involved in educational and professional development training programs for under-graduate and post-graduate students, medical students and registrars. Units are also involved in and support a wide range of research activity in association with hospital clinical units, Baker IDI, Burnet Institute, Monash University and other groups. APS actively supports ongoing professional development and research within areas of diagnostic interest.
The Medical Scientist will join the expanding Human Molecular Pathology team at Alfred Health. The successful applicant will be responsible for the development and NATA accreditation of next generation sequencing (NGS) services within the unit. Tasks will include NGS library preparation and quality control, operation of NGS sequencers and data analysis, alongside extensive document preparation involved with NGS service accreditation.
- BSc or BAppSc in a relevant area (preferably molecular biology)
- Prior experience in a NATA accredited clinical laboratory;
- Experience preparing controlled documents and new assay validation reports to NATA standards;
- Extensive experience in molecular biology techniques;
- Ability to function independently without supervision and in a team environment;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Good communication skills.
- Access to Salary Packaging and Novated Leasing
- Health and Wellbeing initiatives in addition to discounted health insurance
For more detail on the role, please download the relevant position description. For further queries please contact Adam Ivey on 907 62383
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.