Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
- Full-time or part-time applicants encouraged to apply
- Registered Psychiatric Nurse - Grade 2
- Brand New Emergency Department
- Great salary packaging benefits
This is an incredible opportunity to join a fantastic team in a brand new, refurbished Emergency Department.
Alfred Psychiatry is responsible for the operation of services which focus on people with a severe mental illness residing in the Inner South Eastern area of Melbourne.
The Alfred Emergency and Trauma Centre (E&TC) will see all emergencies for assessment and stabilisation. The Department is a purpose built modern facility managing approximately 67,000 patients per year. The E&TC has 59 treatment bays with 43 having full bedside monitoring and is arbitrarily divided into seven main clinical areas. It provides emergency medical and psychiatric services to the local community, as well as some Victorian State-wide services.
Services are provided by a number of teams located at the Alfred Hospital (Commercial Road, Prahran) and at St. Kilda Road Clinic, Waiora Clinic in Armadale, Alma Road CCU in St. Kilda and the Child & Adolescent Service located in Moorabbin. Aged Psychiatry is located at Caulfield campus of Alfred Health.
Alfred Psychiatry also works in partnership with relevant local non-government and social support agencies.
The single most important goal of Alfred Psychiatry is to create an environment that facilitates clinical recovery, supports individual recovery efforts and strives to minimise service system barriers to the recovery process.
The Brief Intervention Short Stay Unit (BISSU) is a four-bed unit in the E&TC that provides acute assessment, brief intervention and treatment and referral options for patients with mental health and/or Alcohol or Other Drug (AOD) issues. The RPN will work directly with E&TC nursing and medical staff and alongside EPS clinicians in the BISSU. The ability and flexibility to work with mental health patients, AOD patients and patients with low acuity medical issues is required in this role.
This position is newly established within the integrated Emergency Psychiatry team, one arm of the Consultation Liaison & Emergency Psychiatry Program. In this role, you will work in the Brief Intervention Short Stay Unit (BISSU) within the Emergency & Trauma Centre. You will demonstrate the core values of nursing at Alfred Health through appropriate and evidenced-based clinical practice and care of patients and their family.
- Registered as a Psychiatric Registered Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia via AHPRA.
- A minimum of three years post graduate experience
- Demonstrated skills in risk assessment, mental state assessment, care planning with knowledge of acute psychiatry and community care options
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Mental Health Act and other relevant legislation e.g. the Guardianship Act
- Well-developed interpersonal skills to effectively consult, liaise and negotiate with patients, carers, family members, and other professionals
- Professional Manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Hold an appropriate visa with working rights
- Salary Packaging
- Discount health insurance
- Car parking
- Child Care
We offer a comprehensive orientation and preceptor program and regular in-house education programs.
If you have any questions please contact Charlotte Stevens on 9076 5153.
Applications close Friday the 20th of July, 2018
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.