- Job no: 11589
- Categories: Administration, Administration & Office Support
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory, to inpatient and home and community based services.
- Temporary Family leave role - part-time (64 hours a fortnight)
- Based at The Alfred
An exciting and challenging opportunity exists at Alfred Health to join the busy Freedom of Information (FOI) and Police Liaison Office. Based at The Alfred, you will be reporting to the Manager of the FOI and Police Liaison Office.
This position covers a wide variety of medico-legal activities including preparing statements, responding to requests from, and liaising with, Victoria Police, and working with the hospital's insurer (VMIA) on medico-legal litigation and case management. Formal legal qualifications are not required however, proven experience as a paralegal/law clerk in a private law firm or in-house legal office (preferably with a health law focus) is preferred. You will also have an understanding of the litigation process (including pleadings, subpoenas and affidavits), and consent and privacy issues covered by the relevant legislation.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responding to requests from Victoria Police for information and/or statements.
- Facilitating the process of obtaining staff statements for Victoria Police and for potential and actual medico-legal claims, and reviewing the statements.
- Following up and ensuring requests for information and/or statements are completed in a timely manner.
- Supporting the manager in medico-legal litigation and case management including: liaising with and responding to requests for information from VMIA panel firms of solicitors on potential and actual medico-legal cases, and liaising with Alfred Health’s Legal Counsels’ Office on medico-legal matters as required.
- Assisting with the preparation and execution of Affidavits of Documents and Answers to Interrogatories when required and assisting staff served with a subpoena.
You will be deadline driven with excellent organisational skills, the ability to work to tight deadlines and statutory requirements, and with a strong quality focus whilst committing to the overall success of the team.
For a confidential discussion about this role please contact Diana Battaglia on 9076-2942
Closing date 27th March 2018
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
- Published on 15 Mar 2018, 3:54 AM